Volunteer manager with eight years of experience working for nonprofits, two years of experience in volunteer management and social justice advocacy, more than a decade of experience in event planning, and stellar interpersonal and communication skills
- Stellar public speaking skills
- Two years’ volunteer management experience
- University of Notre Dame graduate with Bachelor of Arts degree
- More than a decade of experience with successful event planning
- High level of interpersonal skills and experience to be able to work cooperatively with people from diverse backgrounds and interests
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as evidenced in part by years as a journalist and as an inner-city high school teacher in language arts
- Known in all positions held as reliable and detail oriented, possessing the ability to work independently but also effectively collaborate with others, having proven my ability to maintain good working relationships with a variety of people and groups
Volunteer Coordinator – Rick Shepherd for Congress – Nevada Congressional District 2 – 2016
Co-managed the campaign and coordinated volunteers for Rick Shepherd for Congress in Nevada’s second congressional district.
- Recruited, organized, trained and worked with volunteers to phone-bank, canvass, and table for the candidate.
- Wrote and filed quarterly campaign finance report to Federal Election Commission.
- Rick Shepherd won 36% of the vote in a highly contested primary race, with the first-place candidate winning 45% and the third-place candidate winning 19%. Shepherd and the third-place candidate were the strong progressives running against a long-time establishment politico who had the backing of the former Senate majority leader from Nevada. Shepherd was a neophyte to politics, and had he been the only progressive running against the party favorite, he likely would have won the primary.
Field Organizer/Outreach Coordinator – Bernie 2016 – Reno, Nevada – 2015-2016
Hired as first staff in northern Nevada for the Bernie Sanders 2016 campaign after two months’ full-time volunteering as one of the original seven members of the core group of grassroots organizers in Washoe County for the Sanders presidential campaign.
- Field Organizer position focused on direct voter outreach to identify supporters of Bernie Sanders for president and secure their vote at the Nevada caucuses. Trained hundreds of volunteers in phone-banking, canvassing, and the Bernie 2016 Organizing Model. Built relationships with community leaders. Built and managed teams.
- Outreach Coordinator position focused on creating, publicizing, and populating events to raise support for Bernie Sanders for president, and on recruiting and employing under-utilized volunteers for the campaign. Recruited to organize outreach to northern Nevada volunteers, groups, and events to grow the northern Nevada Bern for Bernie. Areas of specialty included senior outreach and organizing a highly successful Bands for Bernie series in Reno and Lake Tahoe. At our seven Bands for Bernie events in three weeks, we registered dozens of new voters (focusing on support for Bernie Sanders for president), educated and motivated Bernie supporters to caucus for him on February 20th, signed up new volunteers and supporters, distributed tee-shirts, yard signs, and bumper stickers, and raised donations for Bernie’s presidential campaign.
- Worked on the campaign until staff moved to other states after the Nevada caucuses. After job ended, continued volunteering for the Bernie 2016 campaign. Elected pledged Bernie delegate to the 2016 Democratic National Convention with substantially highest number of votes in campaign of largest number of candidates in Nevada’s second congressional district election
Volunteer Coordinator – Washoe County, NV, for Bernie Sanders – 2015-2016
One of six core group of grassroots volunteers organizing volunteers for campaign work for Bernie Sanders for president.
- Recruited and coordinated local and out-of-state volunteers, matching interests and abilities to suitable roles.
- With assistance of other key team members, trained volunteers, delegated activities, and scheduled volunteer assignments for events such as voter registration, canvassing, phone banking, and data entry.
- Phone-banked and organized volunteers to support Bernie Sanders for president as Washoe County and all of Nevada head to the county, state, and national conventions and to the national presidential election.
- For out-of-state volunteers, coordinated housing, communication, and scheduling.
- Participated in planning meetings with volunteers.
- Organized and participated in rallies.
- Wrote articles and op-eds to support the progressive political cause.
- Returned to volunteering for this group after staff position ended when the campaign moved on to other states following the February 2016 Nevada caucuses.
- Participated in county, state, and national conventions as delegate.
- Elected pledged Bernie delegate to the 2016 Democratic National Convention with substantially highest number of votes in campaign of largest number of candidates in Nevada’s second congressional district election.
- Conducted fundraiser for the high cost of attending the National Convention. Raised 72% of goal of $3750.
Community Radio Manager – Sierra Nevada Community Access TV – Reno, Nevada – 2002-2003
Began as volunteer member, hired as coordinator, and promoted to manager.
- Increased volunteerism by 300 percent.
- Created technical internship and supervised that position.
- Maintained and upgraded digital equipment and computers.
- Researched, wrote, and initiated first three-year plan for station.
- Managed all personnel, programming, production, and planning.
- Created or enhanced and taught classes in digital production and equipment use and radio journalism.
- Supervised 20 volunteers hosting radio programs and performing administrative and technical work.
- Developed High Sierra Community Radio’s voice: 25 music and talk programs produced by individual hosts.
- Served as liaison between the public, community groups, radio committees, and High Sierra Community Radio’s partners: access TV executive director and board of directors, and Truckee Meadows Community College dean.
Additional Professional Experience
- Alere Medical Inc – Enrollment Call Center Trainer – Reno, Nevada
- Prospect Education/Charter College – Student Advisor – Reno, Nevada
- Northwest Public Radio – Bureau Correspondent for Northwest News Network – Richland, Washington
- KUNR, Reno Public Radio – All Things Considered Host and News Producer/Reporter – Reno, Nevada
- National Public Radio – Nevada Correspondent
- Reno News & Review – Local News & Arts Reporter (18 years)
- Wildflower Art Village – Public Relations Specialist – Reno, Nevada
- Job Opportunities in Nevada (JOIN) – Trainer of Workshops in Job-Hunting Skills – Northern Nevada
- Lewis & Clark College – Script Writer (virtual work) – Lewis & Clark Radio Documentary – Portland, Oregon
- St. Mark’s Fellowship – Volunteer – Reno, Nevada
- SNCAT – Board of Directors Member – Reno, Nevada
- Energy Northwest – Media Advisor – Richland, Washington
- KUNR, Reno Public Radio – University of Nevada, Reno, Journalism Graduate School News Intern
- Contemplative Outreach Northern Nevada – Circle of Service Volunteer, Website Developer
- Washoe County Democratic Party Leadership Academy – Workshop Instructor – Reno, Nevada
- ProNet (Non-profit organization dedicated to providing professionals with the skills and opportunities that enhance their abilities to connect with employers.) – Education Chair, Programs Director, Media Director, Workshop Instructor – Sparks, Nevada
- Created and administer ten websites, blogs, and Facebook pages.
- Planned and managed a 2013 DIY wedding for 75 guests with a budget of $18,000.
- Planned, executed, and managed special events for more than 50 staff at two properties for ten years.
- Researched, wrote, and reported hundreds of news stories for publication and broadcast, including dozens of national stories.
University of Notre Dame
Bachelor of Arts: English & German
- Earned a 3.2 GPA.
- Admitted to the eighth class of women at a time when female admission to Notre Dame was extremely competitive and limited.
University of Nevada, Reno
Journalism & Political Science
- Worked toward Master of Arts, Reynolds School of Journalism, while employed full-time.
- Earned first journalism internship at KUNR, Reno Public Radio.
German Language & Culture
- Completed Sophomore year study-abroad program through the University of Notre Dame.
- Studied majority of classes entirely in German.
- Earned Dean’s List both semesters.
Continuing Education – 1991-Present
- Northern Nevada Centering Prayer Introductory Workshops
- Northern Nevada Centering Prayer Group Facilitator Training
- Sister Giant (political/spiritual conference) – Arlington, Virginia
- Two-week cross-training – NPR member station KPLU – Seattle
- Public Radio News Directors Incorporated (PRNDI) conference – Chicago
- Computer classes in graphics and Web design – New Horizons – Reno, Nevada
- Washoe County Registrar of Voters Voter Registration Drive Training – Reno, Nevada
- The People’s Summit (political conference, attended both years, 2016 and 2017) – Chicago
- Truckee Meadows Community College Writers’ Conferences (attended five conferences) – Reno, Nevada
- Public Radio Reporting weeklong seminar – Poynter Institute – St. Petersburg, Florida
- Dozens of classes in MS Office Suite programs, personnel interactions, and business administration – from professional training organizations including Franklin Covey, American Management Association, Fred Pryor, TMCC – Reno, Nevada